Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another Snowy Morning

With all the snow we have been getting I have been using our breakfast room for a makeshift studio on those mornings that I can't make it into town to my studio. This is our driveway, it's pretty long and ends at the road just past our little yellow barn. There is no making it out of here until it gets plowed. One of the benefits of being an artist is the flexibility of my schedule. My classes are not until the late afternoons so when school is delayed there is no rush for me to get out of here. It really is quite cozy and beautiful.
Still I have work to do, ideas that need processing, and lots of other non art making tasks that go along with the business of being an artist. Today I am going to recycle some of Katie's old school projects (nope I'm not attached and feeling that I have to save her things for her, she hates clutter and tends to throw everything that she is not in love with into the trash.) I'm going turn these watercolor illustrations of a poem she wrote into some of my own original collage art papers.
First gesso, then I'll work in some old acrylics that have just been sitting on the shelf. This year I am trying to do a little clearing of my supplies. I have so many things just sitting around that I am making a conscious effort to give up my weekly trips to the art store just to use my 40% coupons at Michaels.
Here are the first layer of background colors, they are drying around the floor grate that vents our wood stove heat from the basement. Little Tessa just sits there watching me bring more and more papers to dry.
Now to add some simple patterns and details.

Ta da... a few hours later and I have a whole color coordinating set of my own papers ready to be cut up and used in my artwork.
The sun is out now, time to get dressed, shovel and head into my real studio. Have a great day!

No comments: